JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018 – The exam pattern of JEE Main 2018 will help candidates to know about the structure of the question paper. JEE Main exam pattern for paper 1 (B.Tech/B.E) and paper 2 (B.Arch/B.Planning) is defined by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). JEE Main exam pattern 2018 consist details about the structure of both paper 1 and paper 2 such as mode of exam, total number of questions, marking scheme etc. Candidates can opt for one or both papers 1 and 2 of JEE Main, as per their preference. Paper 1 of JEE Main will have questions from Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry and it will be held in both online and offline mode. Whereas, Paper 2 will be a pen and paper (P&P) based test and it consists of aptitude test, Mathematics and drawing test. As per JEE Main exam pattern of previous year, paper 1 had a total number of 360 questions while there were 390 questions in paper 2. Candidates will be given a total duration of 3 hours to complete the entrance test. CBSE is expected to announce JEE Main exam pattern in the month of November 2017. We will update this article if any changes are made in JEE Main exam pattern 2018.
All JEE aspirants must be familiar with the exam pattern of JEE Main to prepare more effectively for the entrance exam. Candidates qualifying in JEE Main will be offered admission into the 31 NITs, 23 IIITs 20 GFTIs and IIEST. Also, the top 2,20,000 qualifier will be shortlisted to appear in JEE Advanced 2017 for admission into the 23 IITs. Read the article given below to get all relevant information about JEE Main exam pattern 2018.
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018- Overview
The table given below provides an overview of JEE Main exam pattern 2018 for both paper 1 and paper 2.
|S.No.||Particulars||JEE Main Exam Pattern Paper 1||JEE Main Exam Pattern Paper 2|
|1.||Mode||Online and Offline||Offline|
|2.||Language Medium||English, Hindi and other (Based on the location of the exam centre)||English, Hindi and other (Based on the location of the exam centre)|
|3.||Subjects||Part A: PhysicsPart B: Chemistry
Part C: Mathematics
|Part I: Aptitude test
Part II: Mathematics
Part III: Drawing
|4.||Type of questions||Objective type multiple choice questions (MCQs)||Objective type multiple choice questions (MCQs) and drawing|
|6.||Duration||3 hours||3 hours|
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018- In Detail
JEE Main 2018 exams consist of two papers as mentioned above. JEE Main exam pattern 2018 for both the papers differs in some aspect. Candidates can check JEE Main exam pattern 2018 for paper 1 and paper 2 from below:
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018- Paper 1 (B.Tech/B.E.)
The paper 1 of JEE Main will be held for admission into B.Tech and B.E. programmes offered by the IITs, NITs and GFTIs. The structure of the question paper for JEE Main paper 1 is as given below:
Examination Mode: CBSE will conduct paper 1 entrance exam in both online and offline mode. The pen and paper based exam will be held in the 1st week of April whereas the computer based test (CBT) will be conducted in the 2nd week of April. Candidates can opt for either of the exam modes as per their convenience.
Language Medium: The question paper of JEE Main paper 1 will be in English and Hindi. However, for examination centre cities in Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, the paper will also be available in Gujarati.
Subject Combination: Questions in paper 1 will be asked from three subjects. All the three subjects are divided into the following three parts:
Part A: Physics
Part B: Chemistry
Part C: Mathematics
Type of Questions: All the question in paper will be objective type. Candidates will have to attempt Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). Each question will have four options out of which only one response will be correct. Filling up more than one response will be treated as wrong response and marks for wrong response will be deducted accordingly
Total no. of Questions: Paper 1 will have a total number of 90 questions. Each part of the question paper will consist of 30 questions.
Maximum Marks: The total number of marks for paper 1 is 360. The marking scheme of JEE Main paper 1 is as below:
- Marks for correct response: For every correct response, candidates will be awarded 4 marks
- Marks for incorrect response: 1 marks will be deducted per question for every incorrect response. There is no negative marking for unanswered questions.
Duration of the Exam: Candidates will be allotted a total duration of 3 hours to complete the entire paper.
For PwD category candidates with 40% or more disability, one hour compensatory (extra) time will be given.
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018- Paper 2 (B.Arch/B.Planning.)
The paper 2 of JEE Main will be conducted for admission into B.Arch/ B.Planning programmes offered by the participating institutes. Candidates can check the exam pattern for JEE Main paper 2 below:
Examination Mode: Candidates have to appear for paper 2 in the offline mode. JEE Main 2018 exam for B.Arch/ B.Planning will be a pen and paper based test.
Language Medium: Paper 2 of JEE Main 2018 will be set in English and Hindi. However, candidates appearing for the paper in cities of Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, the paper will be in Gujarati as well.
Subject Combination: Paper 2 will comprise question from the following three subjects divided further into three individual sections:
Part I: Mathematics
Part II: Aptitude Test
Part III: Drawing
Type of Questions: Part 1 and part 2 of the question paper will have objective type questions. Each question in both the parts will have four options. There will be only one correct response to each question. If for any question, more than one answered is filled up it will be treated as an incorrect response.
Part III, on the other hand, will have questions on drawing. Candidates have to attempt the questions on a separate drawing sheet which will be placed inside the test booklet. Candidates have to use colour pencils or crayons, only on the drawing sheet.
Total number of Questions: In paper 2, the total number of questions is 82. Each part will have different number of questions. Candidates can check the number of questions in each section of JEE Main paper 2 below:
|S.No.||Subjects||Number of Questions|
Maximum Marks: As per the exam pattern of JEE Main paper 2, the maximum marks is 390. The marking scheme is as given below:
- Marks for correct response: In part I and II, each correct response will contain 4 marks. However, in part III, the two questions will carry 70 marks.
- Marks for incorrect response: For incorrect response, 1 mark per question will be deducted in both part I and II of JEE Main paper 2. There is no deduction of marks for questions which are not attempted. For the drawing section, marks will be allotted on the basis of their drawing skill.
Duration of the Exam: The paper 2 of JEE Main 2018 will be for a duration of 3 hours. However, one hour compensatory (extra) time will be allotted for PwD category candidates with 40% or more disability.
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018- Availability of Scribe
Candidates who are persons with 40% or more disability and have applied under the PWD category. Such candidates will be provided scribe/reader on the request of the candidate. More details below:
- Students will be allowed to have their own scribe or reader on request. They can also submit a request to the centre superintendent for the same.
- The centre superintendent will identify the scribe/reader. Candidates can also meet the scribe a day, before the examination to verify the suitability of the scribe on request.
- An extra time of one hour will be given to PwD candidates irrespective of the fact that candidates are availing the facility of scribe/reader.
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018- Important Instructions
Apart from the structure of the paper as defined in JEE Main exam pattern 2018, there are some important instructions that candidates must pay attention to while appearing for the entrance test. Candidates can check important guidelines below:
- Candidates must carry their admit card of JEE Main along with them to the examination centre
- PwD category candidates must carry a copy of the PWD certificate with them in the prescribed format issued by the competent authority.
- Candidates must reach the venue 30 minutes prior to the examination
- After the commencement of the examination, no candidate will be allowed to enter the examination centre.
- No baggage will be allowed inside the examination centre. The JEE Apex board will not be responsible for the loss of any property at the venue.
- Candidates must not carry any banned items to the examination hall. Items such as textual and electronic devices like calculators, electronic watches, cell phones, pagers, printed or written papers or any other materials are not allowed inside the exam hall
- Candidates found in possession of the above-mentioned Items will not be allowed to appear for the examination and the items will be seized as well
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the examination hall till the full duration of the paper.
JEE Main 2018 Guidelines for CBT & P&P Mode of Exam
CBSE has prescribed sets of instructions that candidates appearing for the online and offline mode of examination require following. Candidates can check the details for each mode of examination below.
|JEE Main 2018 Guidelines for P&P Mode||JEE Main 2018 Guidelines for CBT Mode|
|Candidate have to use black ball point provided in the exam hall to fill in particulars and to mark their answers||Candidates will be provided ball pens in the examination hall to do rough work.|
|Candidates can carry along with them a cardboard or a clip board. Nothing should be written on it||All calculations/writing work should be done only in the rough sheet provided at the centre. candidates must hand over the rough sheets to the invigilator after the completion of the test|
|Candidates appearing in paper 2 have to bring their own geometry box set, pencils, erasers and colour pencils or crayons.||The candidates must sign on the Attendance Sheet at the appropriate place.|
|On completion of the test, candidate must hand over the answer sheet to the Invigilator on duty in the Room/Hall||A mock test will be available online in the month of December. Candidates must take the test to get familiar with the CBT mode of test|
Keep visiting engg.entrancecorner.com for more updates on JEE Main Exam Pattern 2018