JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 – The eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2018 is defined by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). JEE Main eligibility criteria 2018 enlist the requirements that candidates need to fulfil for appearing in the entrance test. Eligibility criteria of JEE Main include age limit, qualification, number of attempts etc. It is mandatory for candidates to have passed class XII or any equivalent examination in 2016 or 2017 to appear in JEE Main 2018. Last year, CBSE made Aadhaar card a mandatory requirement for the registration process. However, this criteria was waved off for candidates from a few selected states namely, Meghalaya, Assam and Jammu & Kashmir. It is expected that Aadhaar card will still remain one of the primary eligibility requirement to apply for JEE Main 2018. It is highly advisable to students that they go through all the norms defined by CBSE before applying for JEE Main 2018. If, at a later stage any applicant is found to be ineligible, the candidature will be cancelled and the application fee will not be refunded either. CBSE has also defined norms for being eligible for admission to the 30 NITs, 23 IIITs, 23 IITs and 20 GFTIs. Therefore, candidates must go through JEE Main 2018 eligibility criteria to know their status. To know all the important information about JEE Main eligibility criteria 2018, go through the article given below on this page.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018
1. JEE Main Eligibility Criteria- Date of Birth
The upper age limit defined for candidates to appear in JEE Main 2018 is 25 years. However, as per JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018, applicants date of birth must fall on or after October 01, 1993. Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) have been given a relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit. Hence, as per JEE Main eligibility criteria, candidates belonging to the reserved categories must be born on or after October 01, 1988 to be eligible for JEE Main 2018.
Note: Only the date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/ University certificate will be considered
2. JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Requirements in Qualifying Examination (QE)
Students who wish to appear in JEE Main 2018 must have passed their class 12 or equivalent examination. Details about the qualifying examination requirement are as given below:
Year of Appearance
- Candidates must have passed their qualifying examination in 2016 or 2017
- Students appearing for class XII or any other equivalent examination in 2018
- Aspirants who were unable to qualify in qualifying examination in 2015 but passed in 2016 are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2018
Subject Requirements in QE
Candidates must have studied at least 5 subjects in the qualifying examination. The following are the subject combination
- Chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Biology/ Technical Vocational subject (Any one)
- Any other subject
3. JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 – Number of Attempts
- Candidates can avail a maximum number of 3 attempts for JEE Main
- For admission to institutions in the states of Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland, and Odhisa, the number of attempts and age limit will remain same as the previous practices of their respective state level examination.
Is Aadhaar Card mandatory to apply for JEE Main 2018?
In order to apply for JEE Main 2018, candidates must be in possession of the Aadhaar card issued by UIDAI. Without the Aadhaar card number, candidates will not be able to fill up the application form of JEE Main 2018. Students must ensure that details provided in the Aadhaar card matches with that of their school records.
However, candidates who have passed their class XII examination from the states of Jammu & Kashmir, Assam and Meghalaya can enter their passport number, ration number, bank account number or any other valid Government identity number provided they choose the exam centres in these states only.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 For Admission
For admission to NITs, IITs and CFTIs, along with securing a rank in the entrance examination, candidates have to fulfil the following eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2018:
Requirement of Minimum Marks in QE
- Candidates must secure at least 75% marks in class 12 or equivalent examination. For SC/ST candidates the qualifying marks is 65%
- Applicants have to be in the top 20 percentile in the qualifying examination conducted by the respective Boards.
Subject Requirements in QE
As per JEE Main eligibility criteria 2018, candidates must qualify class 12 or equivalent examination with the following subjects:
|1.||B.E./ B.Tech||Admission will be offered to only those candidates who have passed the qualifying examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with any of the optional subjects namely, Chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Biology/ Technical Vocational subject|
|2.||B.Arch./B.Planning||Candidates must qualify class XII exam with Mathematics as a mandatory subject|
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 for Admission to Other Institutes
The eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2018 can also be adopted by other engineering institutes who will be participating in the counselling to be conducted by JoSAA. However, if a state decides to admit candidates in the engineering institutes affiliated to state Universities, they may define their own sets of eligibility norms.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018- List of Qualifying Examinations
Candidates who have passed any of the following qualifying examinations are considered eligible for admission into various institutes through JEE Main 2018 is as given below:
- Class XII examination conducted by any recognised central/state Board
- Intermediate or two year Pre- University examination conducted by a recognised Board/University
- Final examination of the two- year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
List of Qualifying Examinations for admission at IITs
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A Diploma recognized by AICTE or a state board of technical education of at least 3 year duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva
- In case the relevant QE is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination at an earlier level.
JEE Main State Code of Eligibility 2018
The state code of eligibility for JEE Main refers to the code of state from where the candidates have qualified their class 12 or equivalent examination. Candidates can check the list of JEE Main Eligibility 2018 state code from below:
|Name of State/UT||Code||Name of State/UT||Code|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands (UT)||01||Madhya Pradesh||20|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli (UT)||08||Puducherry (UT)||27|
|Daman & Diu (UT)||09||Punjab||28|
|Jammu & Kashmir||15||Uttarakhand||34|
|Kerala||18||Foreign/OCI/PIO/Nepal / Bhutan||97|
Note: The article on JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018 is based on information collected from JEE Main 2017 Information Brochure. The article will be updated as soon as the Information Brochure for JEE Main 2018 gets released.
Keep visiting engg.entrancecorner.com for more updates on JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018