JEE Main 2017 – The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main, conducted by CBSE, is scheduled to be held on April 02, 2017 in the offline mode and on April 08 & 09, 2017 in the online mode. It will be held across 113 test centres in the nation. The last date to submit JEE Main Application Form was on January 16, 2017. The facility to make correction will open from January 25, 2017. Candidates will be able to make all the corrections but change the mode of JEE from CBT to Pen and Paper. The application facility will lapse on February 3, 2017. However, the fee pertaining to the correction can be paid until February 4, 2017. Candidates may know more details about JEE Main 2017 from this page.
What’s New in JEE Main 2017?
- Gujarati has been removed as language option from JEE Main 2017.
- Dhaka has been added in the list of JEE Main 2017 Exam Centers.
- The Aadhaar Card is compulsory for every applicant. The Aadhaar number, name, date of birth & gender entered by students will be validated with the UIDAI’s data. The data in the Aadhaar Card must match the details of their name, date of birth & gender as per school records. Candidates must ensure the details match.
- Applicants need not upload their thumb impression along with the signature and their photograph as the details will be matched with the Aadhaar Card.
- Aspirants from J&K, Assam, Meghalaya do not need Aadhaar Card for applying. They will be required to submit their Passport Number/Bank Account Number/Voter ID Card/Ration Card Number etc.
- CBSE has set up various facilitation centres to assist candidates in acquiring Aadhaar Card.
- There will be no weightage for the class XII or equivalent marks in the preparation of the JEE Main 2017 Ranks.
- For admissions to NITs, IIITs and other Central Institutes, the Eligibility Criteria has been changed. The details are as follows:
General /OBC Category: Candidates must have secured at least 75% in their class XII OR must have come in the top 20 percentile in their respective school boards.
SC/ST Category: Candidates must have secured 65% in their Class XII or equivalent.
- Gujarat is no longer a participating state for JEE as per the latest notification from ACPC. The state admissions will be through GUJCET 2017.
- This year, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Amethi, Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh) is not a part of the JEE Main 2017 Participating Institutes as it has been shut down.
Candidates can track the important deadlines for the JEE Main exam like the application dates, exam schedule, result, answer key and more with the help of the important dates given below. Check the crucial dates for the exam below to avoid missing the deadlines.
|1.||Availability of JEE Main Application Form||December 01, 2016|
|2.||Last Date for JEE Main Application Form|
|3.||Availability of Mock Test||December 16, 2016|
|4.||Last date to submit the fee|
|5.||Correction in JEE Main 2017 Application Form||January 25 to February 03, 2017|
|6.||Download of Admit Card for JEE Main||2nd week of March 2017|
|7.||Offline JEE Main 2017 Exam: Paper I from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Paper II from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
|April 02, 2017|
|8.||Computer Based Exam of JEE Main: Paper I (Shift I) from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Paper I (Shift II*) from 2:00 to 5:00 pm*It should be noted that the Shift II may or may not be held, depending on the number of applicants
|April 8 & 9, 2017|
|9.||JEE Main Answer Key||April 18 to 22, 2017|
|10.||OMR Response Sheet availability||April 18 to 22, 2017|
|11.||JEE Main Result containing the score and AIR||April 27, 2017|
|12.||The AIR of Paper-2 will release on||May 27, 2017|
|13.||Counselling through JOSAA 2017||July 201|
Now that the application process for JEE Main 2017 has ended, the admit card will be issued for the registered candidates. The Board has not issued any particular details for the issuance of the JEE Main Admit Card 2017 but has notified that it will be releasing in the 2nd week of March 2017. The candidates can check the process to download and more details on it from below.
- Candidates must log in by entering their application number and date of birth.
- They can access their admit card and print it.
- It is advisable to check the details given on the admit card before printing it.
- The admit card will display the candidate’s information along with the Roll No and the exam schedule as well as the photograph and signature of the candidate.
- Candidates who are appearing for their Class XII in 2017 or for improvement in 2017 must enter their Class XII Roll No before downloading and printing their admit card.
Important: Candidates, who qualified in class XII in 2015 or 2016 but have not opted for improvement should carry a Copy of their Final marks sheet/ marks statement of Class 12th/Qualifying Examination of year along with their admit card
Candidates, who qualified in class XII/ qualifying Examination in 2015 or 2016 and have opted for improvement of performance in all subjects in 2017 should carry a Copy of their Admit card/Hall ticket for improvement of performance in Class XII /Qualifying Examination along with their JEE Main admit card
PWD candidates must carry their medical certificate.
The above candidates must write their name on the document and submit the same to the invigilator at the exam hall.
JEE Main 2017 Salient Features
Exam Name: Joint Entrance Examination (JEE Main 2017)
Conducted by: JEE Apex Body. The exam will be conducted through CBSE
|1.||JEE Main Application Process||Online system with uploading of photograph, and signature.
Aadhaar Card details mandatory for every applicant.
Candidates don’t need to upload the thumb impression.
|2.||JEE Main Admit Card||To be downloaded through login|
|3.||No of Attempts||A maximum of three attempts|
|4.||Exam Mode||Online and Offline|
|6.||Choice Medium of Exam Paper||Hindi and English|
|7.||JEE Main Question Papers||Will be uploaded by CBSE after exam for all sets separately for the offline and online exams|
|8.||Answer Key for JEE Main||Will be available soon after the exam|
|9.||JEE Main Result||Will be declared online|
|10.||JEE Advanced 2017 Cutoffs||The cutoffs will be announced along with the result of JEE Main|
|11.||Counselling||Common Counselling through JoSAA 2017|
- Pass Percentage Required – Must have obtained at least 75% marks, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination conducted by the respective Boards. For SC/ST candidates the qualifying mark is 65% in the 12th class examination.
- Academic and Subjects – Must have passed 10+2 with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/ Technical Vocational subject. B.Arch applicants must have studied Mathematics as a compulsory subject.
- Age Limit – Candidates born on or after October 1, 1992, are eligible to apply provided their SSC certificate shows the same. SC/ST and PwD candidates must be born on or after October 1, 1987.
- No of Subjects – Candidates must have studied and passed at least five subjects in their class 12th / qualifying examination in order to be eligible.
- Year of Passing – Candidates must have passed their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2015 or 2016. Candidates who are appearing in their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2017 are also eligible provided their result is declared before June 15, 2017.
The last date to submit the application form of JEE Main 2017 was January 2, 2017, but was extended until January 16, 2017. However, now that the extended deadline is also over, the candidates cannot apply for the exam. There were various changes in registration process this year and the candidates interested can check it all from below.
Registration: Candidates have to register first by giving details of their Nationality, State of eligibility, State Where Class 12 School/ NIOS Study Centre Located, Identification Type, Identification No, Candidate’s Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Security Pin. Check how to know your state code of eligibility for JEE Main
Important: If the details like Name of candidate and date of birth entered in Application form don’t match the details in the Aadhaar Card, candidates will not be able to register further.
Candidates must note that the Identification Type is the Aadhaar No for candidates already having an Aadhaar Card, Aadhaar Registration No for students who have newly applied for Aadhaar or the Registration No for students who have submitted a request letter at the CBSE facilitation Centre for Aadhaar.
Filling in the Application Form: After logging in, candidates must enter their Board Examination Details, JEE Main 2017 Examination Details, personal details, academic qualifications contact details, guardian details. Candidates must also choose a password for their login through the entire duration of the JEE Main admission process.
Some points to note while filling the JEE Main 2017 Application Form:
Year of Passing Class XII or Equivalent:
- Candidates who are appearing for their class XII exams in 2017 need not enter their Class XII Roll No. They will be required to enter the details while downloading their JEE Main admit card.
- Candidates appearing for the improvement examination in 2017 must select the year of appearing as 2017.
- Candidates who have passed class XII in 2015 and have appeared for improvement in five subjects in 2016 must select the year in which their performance is better.
Aadhaar Card Details: Candidates will have to fill their Aadhaar card number and their name, date of birth as well as gender as entered in the Aadhaar card must match the details in the school records. Candidates having a mismatch must get it corrected. Candidates not having an Aadhaar card should get one in order to apply for JEE Main exam.
The choice of the exam centre will be dependent on the mode of exam chosen – online or offline.
Candidates are also required to upload their photograph and signature as per the below-given specifications
|Details||File Format||File Size||Dimensions|
|Photograph with name and date printed below||JPEG format||4-40 KB||3.5cm x 4.5cm|
|Signature||1-30 KB||3.5cm x 1.5cm|
Fee Payment: Can be done through Credit or Debit Card or E-challan of Syndicate/Canara/ICICI/HDFC bank. The amount of fee is as below.
|JEE Main Paper||Pen and Paper Exam||Computer Based Exam|
|For candidates choosing exam centre in India|
|JEE Main Paper I or Paper II||Rs. 1000||Rs. 500||Rs. 500||Rs. 250|
|JEE Paper I and Paper II||Rs. 1800||Rs. 900||Rs. 1300||Rs. 650|
|For candidates opting for outside India centre|
|JEE Main Paper I or Paper II||Rs. 2500||Rs. 1250||Rs. 2500||Rs. 1250|
|JEE Main Paper I and Paper II||Rs. 3800||Rs. 1900||Rs. 3800||Rs. 1900|
The syllabus for JEE Main is prescribed and given by the authorities. Candidates must study the given topics in detail to prepare well for the JEE Main exam. The syllabus is generally a mix of the class XI and XII syllabus of the school boards. Candidates will have to study and prepare accordingly. The Syllabus for JEE Main will be available for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and students will have to prepare from here accordingly.
|Medium for all exam centres||English and Hindi|
|Medium for exam centres in Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli||English, Hindi|
|Duration of exam||3 hours|
|Total No of questions||90 with 30 questions for each section|
|Total No of Marks||360|
|Type of questions||Objective type|
|Sections in Question Paper||3 – Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Marking Scheme||4 marks will be allotted for each correct answer and for incorrect answers, negative marking of 1 mark will be done|
The answer key will be provided by CBSE from April 18 to 22, 2017. The Answer keys will contain the correct answers to the questions asked and will be announced for all sets of the JEE Main question paper as well as for the Computer-based exam. Candidates who disagree with the provided answer key can challenge the same by paying Rs 1000 per question through credit/debit card or e-challan. This fee is non-refundable. The challenge must be accompanied with proof.
It should also be noted that on the P&P exam day, various private institutes will also release the answer key of JEE Main 2017. Candidates can refer to unofficial answer key for estimating the score but should not consider it as the final result. To know how the result of JEE will be calculated, check below.
The result will be declared on April 27, 2017. Candidates must log in to check their Result for JEE Main 2017. Unlike last year, the score and rank of the candidates will not be announced separately. Instead it will be announced on the same day. The JEE Main 2017 Rank will be calculated directly on the basis of JEE Main 2017 scores because the normalization method has been removed. On the basis of the rank, the candidates will be allocated seat in the Counselling of JEE Mian 2017
In addition to this, candidates will also be intimated whether they have qualified to appear for JEE Advanced 2017 along with the criteria as specified.
The minimum score that is used to screen admissions is the cutoffs. Through the admissions are held through JoSAA , the cutoffs will be differing from institute to institute as well as the courses. Some institutes are more preferred and some disciplines too for eg NIT Warangal, NIT Trichy are top preferred ones as are the disciplines like Computer Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering etc. The cutoffs for the year 2017 will be available only after the results are announced. Candidates can use the JEE Main 2016 cutoffs to understand the scores that are needed for admissions to preferred institutes. Check the cutoff details for some of the top ranked institutes and disciplines below to get an understanding.
|S.No.||List of top 10 institutes||Cutoff|
|1||NIT Warangal||Click here|
|2||NIT Tiruchirapalli||Click here|
|3||NIT Surathkal||Click here|
|4||NIT Calicut||Click here|
|5||NIT Allahabad||Click here|
|6||IIEST Shibpur||Click here|
|7||NIT Nagpur||Click here|
|8||NIT Surat||Click here|
|9||SLIET, Longowal||Click here|
|10||NIT Rourkela||Click here|
The counselling of JEE Main 2017, will be conducted by JoSAA, along with that of JEE Advanced. It will be held for admissions to IITs, NITs and other participating CFTIs. Up to 92 institutes will participate under JoSAA 2017, which will includes 22 IITs, ISM, 31 NITs, 20 IIITs and 18 Other-Government Funded Technical Institutes (Other-GFTIs).
State Admissions through JEE Main 2017: The following states will hold their admissions through JEE Main 2017 scores. Candidates must apply separately for the ones they are eligible for. Candidates can check the details of state admission by click on the appropriate link, mentioned in the table below.
|2.||Madhya Pradesh||Click here|
|6.||Gujarat – Opted Out of JEE Main. Admissions will be through GUJCET 2017||Click here|
States Allowing Admissions for Other State Students through JEE Main 2017: Some states allow students from other states to avail the admissions for the B.E or B.Tech courses. The application process is separate for them as well as the eligibility criteria. Check below the details and apply accordingly.
|1||Chhattisgarh B.Tech/B.E Admissions||Click here|
|2||Rajasthan B.E/B.Tech Admissions||Click here|
Universities allowing Admissions through JEE Main 2017: Many leading universities take the JEE Main scored for their admissions. Candidates can also check the details of the course, eligibility, application procedure and explore the options of studying in some of the good universities on the basis of their JEE Main score.
|1.||DTU, IIIT Delhi, IGDTUW and NSIT Through JAC Delhi 2017||Click here|
|2.||IIIT Hyderabad||Click here|
|3.||Thapar University||Click here|
|6.||Shiv Nadar (also via SNUSAT)||Click here|
|7.||Mahindra Ecole Centrale||Click here|
|8.||NIIT University (also via BITSAT or any state exam)||Click here|
Admissions to 31 National Institutes of Technology, 20 IIITs and 18 Other-Government Funded Technical Institutes are through JEE Main 2017 Scores/ Rank. JEE Main Paper, I is for the engineering and technology courses whereas Paper II is for the architecture courses offered by the NITs, IIITs and other GFTIs. The list of the JEE Main 2017 Participating Institutes can be checked by clicking on the given link above.
The Indian Institute of Information Technology, Amethi, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh is no more included in the Participating Institutes of JEE Main 2017.
In addition students from the states of Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Nagaland & Odisha must fill the JEE Main application form as these states will hold their undergraduate engineering admissions through JEE Main 2017. Candidates may note that Gujarat is no longer a participating state. The ACPC has declared that GUJCET 2017 will be the exam to be held instead of JEE Main 2017 in the state.
JEE Main Contact Details:
- Address: JEE(Main) Unit Central Board of Secondary Education
Plot No. 149, Block – H,
Sector – 63, Noida – 201309
Distt- Gautam Budh Nagar (U.P.)
- Helpline Number:7042399520/ 7042399521/ 7042399525/ 7042399526/ 7042399529
Stay updated with http://engg.entrancecorner.com/. Feel free to send us your queries in the comment section below.