The GATE 2017 will be starting from February 04, 2017. It will also be held on February 05, 11, and 12, 2017. All the 23 papers of GATE has been segregated in 8 sessions, which will be conducted in the upcoming Saturdays and Sundays. Candidates must be all set to take the examination. However, it is advised that they do check the GATE 2017 Exam Day Guidelines as well.
The guidelines are to be mandatorily followed by the aspirants and any breach of it will only lead to the nullification of candidature. The GATE Exam Day Guidelines are basically instructions regarding the conduct at the exam hall, documents to be carried on the exam day, material not to be carried on exam day and much more. Our readers can check all of it from below.
A Day before GATE
A day or two before the exam day, the candidates must ensure the following:
- Candidates should visit the exam centre a day before the examination.
- They must check the most suitable medium of the commute.
- After visiting the venue, the candidates must keep ready all the documents to be carried on the exam day.
On the Exam Day
From reaching the exam hall to concluding of the examination, instructions for “GATE DAY” are as follows:
Schedule at the Exam Hall
- Candidates must reach the exam hall, at least, 60 minutes before the examination. Those taking the exam in morning will not be allowed to enter exam hall after 9:30 am. Candidates, who have opted for the evening session, must reach the exam hall by 2:30 pm.
- Verification of documents and frisking of the candidates will be done at the centre and only if their credentials are authentic they will be allowed to take GATE 2017.
- Candidates are to be seated 35 minutes before the exam.
- 20 minutes before the examination, the candidates will be allowed to login. This time has to be utilised for reading and understanding the instructions of online exam.
What to Carry for GATE 2017
- Of course carrying the GATE 2017 Admit Card is a mandatory requirement but with it the candidates must also carry one Photo ID card as well.
- The valid Photo ID card can be Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, Valid College ID, Employee identification issued by concerned companies, and Driving License.
- Candidates whose application form has been accepted provisionally must also carry the required documents as well.
What Not to Carry for GATE 2017
- Calculators, mobile, charts, tables, etc are not allowed.
- At the exam centre, there will be no provision for safe keeping of the candidate’s belongings.
During the Exam
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the exam hall.
- They might be required to produce the admit card multiple times.
- Any misconduct will be penalised.
- Scribble pad will be provided to the candidates. On it, the candidates must write their Name and Registration Number.
- Once the exam is over, candidates will have to return the Scribbling pad.
Guideline for GATE 2017
The instructions on how to take GATE 2017 have been mentioned below. Yet, it is advised that candidates also go through the instructions mentioned at the beginning of the exam.
Know the Screen
- After the login, the test will start. On the top right side of the screen, the countdown timer will be running. It will display the time left for the examination to conclude. It should be noted that candidates only have 180 minutes to attempt the entire exam.
- The virtual calculator will also be available on the right side of the screen.
- Candidates can opt for the full screen by clicking on the arrow mark. The answer palette will hide after choosing the full screen.
- The Question Palette will be as below and will indicate the status of a question.
When the countdown will come to zero, the examination will end automatically.
- Directly open a question – click on the question number in the Question Palette.
- View all questions – click on question paper button.
- Note – the question paper button will not display Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Submitting your Answer
- To answer an MCQs, click on the button for the respective question. However, to deselect the chosen answer, click again on the same button.
- A Numerical Type Question can be answered by entering the response using the virtual numerical keypad.
- A fraction number, in decimal notation (like – 30) can be answered with or without the zero.
- Candidates may also click on the ‘Clear Response’ button.
Saving the Answer
- An answer can be saved by clicking on ‘Save & Next’ button.
- To mark the question for review, candidates may use the ‘Review & Next’ button.
- The answers will be saved automatically, on the conclusion of the examination.