Applicants for the Academic Year 2011-2012 should note that the Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 has been declared a Minority Educational Institution under Article 30(1) of the Constitution of India read with Section 2(g) of the National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions Act. As a consequence of this, the university admission policy towards the statutory reservation of seats for students applying for admission for 2011-2012 is expected to be modified. The modification to this effect will be notified on the university website: www.jmi.ac.in. Applicants are advised to be vigilant regarding any notification to this effect.
Jamia was established in 1920 by a group of nationalist Muslim intelligentsia at Aligarh (Uttar Pradesh). Its campus shifted from Aligarh to Delhi in 1925 and the foundation stone of the present campus was laid on 1 March 1930.
Courses offered by JMI
|Course Offered||Duration||Number of seats|
|B. Tech.(Civil, Mechanical, Electrical,|
Electronics & Communication, and Computer Engineering)
|4 Academic Years|
(Comprising of 8 Semesters )
|Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) (Evening)(Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics & Communication, and Computer Engineering)||4 Academic Years|
(Comprising of 8 Semesters )
|B. Arch.||5 Academic Years||40|
|B. Arch. (Self Financing)||5 Academic Years||40|
Eligibility Criteria for JMI 2011:
For B. Tech
- Sr. Sec. School Certificate (10+2) / Intermediate or its equivalent of a recognized Board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as their main subjects, with not less than 45% marks in PCM.
- Age: Not less than 17 years as on October 1, 2011.
For B.E. (Evening)
Three/four year Diploma either in Computer Engineering or in Electronics & Communication Engineering or in relevant branch is required together with at least two years Professional Experience after Diploma. Diploma holders from Jamia Polytechnic, J.M.I securing 70% marks or more are also eligible to appear in the Entrance Test without Professional Experience. The experience shall be reckoned from the date of declaration of result/ date of issue of mark-sheet of qualifying examination or the date of beginning of professional engagement (which ever is later) till the last date of submission of Application Form. Documentary evidence of declaration of result is required, at the time of interview.
A candidate who has passed 10 + 2 Examination and has secured not less than 50% marks in aggregate with Mathematics, English, Physics, and Chemistry as subjects shall be eligible for admission to first year of the B. Arch. Course, subject to an aptitude test.
|B. Tech.(Civil, Mechanical, Electrical,|
Electronics & Communication, and Computer Engineering)
|Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) (Evening)(Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics & Communication, and Computer Engineering)||17,920|
|Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) (Evening)(Civil)||7,920|
|B. Arch. (Self Financing)||49,320|
Important Dates for Jamia Millia Islamia 2011:
|S. No.||Events||B. Tech.||B.E.||B. Arch.|
|1||Last Date for Submission of Admission Forms ||05/05/2011||13/10/2011||10/05/2011|
|2||Date of Entrance Test||11/06/2011||12/11/2011||01/06/2011|
|3||Declaration of Result of Entrance Test/ List of Short-lIsted Candidates||21/06/2011||21/11/2011||16/06/2011|
|4||Date of Commencement of Interviews||27/06/2011||29/11/2011||06/07/2011 - 10/07/2011 |
Declaration of final list of selected candidates for Admission
|6||Commencement of Admission formalities||19/07/2011||09/01/2012||18/07/2011|
Admission Test for JMI 2011
The admission to these courses will be made on the basis of merit determined by an Entrance Test of 3 hours duration with a weightage of 170 (Physics 55 + Chemistry 55 + Maths 60) marks followed by an Interview with a weightage of 30 marks to be conducted by a duly constituted Interview Committee. The medium of Entrance Test will be English. All applicants who qualifies the Entrance Test and called for interview shall have to attend the interview.
Test Marks 130
For B. Arch. Entrance Test
There shall be two papers, the first (PCM) containing three sections viz. Physics, Chemistry & Maths. The questions in the first (PCM) test will be objective types & Aptitude Test will contain subjective (illustrative) as well as objective questions. The student has to secure at least 33% marks in both PCM & Aptitude Test separately.
Details of Marks
Availability ofApplication Forms for Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 :
- Candidates seeking admission to any course (except Ph.D. programme) at Jamia Millia Islamia during the academic session 2011-2012 may obtain the prescribed Application Form along with the Prospectus from the University Counter at Jamia Millia Islamia on cash payment (Inclusive of Entrance Test fee) as shown above (under the column Application Fee).
- The application form may also be downloaded from the Jamia’s website at http://www.jmi.ac.in and submitted along with the prescribed fee as mentioned above.
- The Application Form and Prospectus may also be obtained through post by sending crossed Demand Draft of an amount as shown above in Table (under the column Application Fee) drawn in favour of “Jamia Millia Islamia” payable at Delhi/ New Delhi along with a self-addressed envelop of 30x25 c.m. size affixing postage stamps worth Rs.150/- clearly indicating the name of the course for which the Application Form is required. The request for sending a set of Application Form and prospectus should be addressed to the Registrar, Jamia Millia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi - 110025.
- The cost of Prospectus along with the Application Form for each course includes the Entrance Test Fee. No other fee is required to be submitted at the time of submission of the Application Form.
Submission of Application Form
(i) Application on prescribed form completed in all respects for all courses should be submitted either in person or by post, in the office of the respective Faculty/Department/Centre on or before last date of submission of application form. Admission forms will be accepted between 09:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. (except lunch hours) on all working days. The Jamia remains closed on Saturday and Sunday besides the holidays recognised by the Jamia.
(ii) Payment of fee by cheque/ IPO/ MO shall not be accepted.
(iii) Demand Drafts in favour of “Jamia Millia Islamia” payable only at Delhi/ New Delhi branches will be accepted.
(iv) The Application Fee is non-refundable and no correspondence on this subject will be entertained.
(v) Three recent (passport size) colored photographs duly self-attested should be affixed and covered with transparent tape on the application form. The application forms with different photographs are liable to be rejected. These photographs are to be pasted with gum and should not be stapled or pinned. Xerox copies of photographs are not acceptable.
(vi) Candidates are required to fill an application form in his/her own handwriting. If a candidate submits more than one application form for the same course, his/ her candidature is liable to be rejected.
(vii)Application Form must be filled in and duly signed by the applicant.
(viii) The applicants to all courses under various reserved categories must submit alongwith the application forms attested photocopies of the certificate of verification of the reserved category issued by the competent authority.
(ix) Incomplete application form (s) shall be summarily rejected.
(x) Candidates whose results have not been declared, may also apply for admission provided they produce the result/ certificate of the qualifying examination by the last date of admission as per the list in which the name of the student figures. Any subsequent production of result/ certificate of the qualifying examination shall not vest in the candidate any right of admission.
(xi) It must be noted that Application Forms will also be accepted by Mail/ Courier at the concerned Faculty/ Department/ Centre (as shown in above Table) only, upto the last date of acceptance of forms, as specified in the Admission Schedule. Any form received by any means say Registered Post, Speed Post or by Courier Services, after the last date, as specified in the Admission Schedule shall be rejected.
Entrance Test Details / Admission Procedure
(i) Admission to all courses of Jamia would be done through a written test (85%) and interview (15%). Admission Tests for all courses will be held at various centres in Jamia.
(ii) All candidates, including candidates for reserved seats, are required to appear at the Entrance Test and Interview in accordance with the admission schedule . In case of change in the admission schedule, if any, a notice will be put up on the notice board of the Faculty/Department/ Centre concerned as well as Jamia’s website. No intimation will be sent to the individual candidates.
(iii) Candidates can collect their admit card for the entrance test in person while submitting the application form. Those who wish to receive the same by post may send a self -addressed and duly stamped amount Rs. 25/- envelope (22 cm.x30 cm) with the application form. However, the University shall not be responsible for any postal delays or loss during transit. If the admit card is not received in time or lost, the candidate may contact the office of the concerned Department/Centre/Faculty along with two recent (passport size) self attested color photographs, and the receipt issued by the post office for having dispatched the application form, for getting duplicate Admit Card, at least one-day in advance of the date of Entrance Test.
(iv) Candidates called for interview shall be generally three times the total number of seats in the course concerned provided that they have secured at least 33% marks in the entrance test at Undergraduate and Diploma Courses.
(v) The Syllabus for the Entrance Test can be seen at the Jamia’s website.
Reservation of Seats for JMI 2011:
Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
22.5 % of seats in all courses will be reserved for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes candidates in the following order:
(i) 15% of seats will be reserved for Scheduled Castes and 7.5 % for Scheduled Tribes.
(ii) The reservation, is interchangeable i.e. if sufficient number of candidates are not available to fill up the seats reserved for Scheduled Tribes, they may be filled up by suitable candidates from Scheduled Castes and vice-versa.
(iii) Candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes will be given relaxation to the extent of 5% in the aggregate of marks obtained in the qualifying examination.
(iv) The applicant in this category must submit at the time of interview a certificate of verification.
(v) An Application Form received without the certificate of varification of the claimed category is liable to be rejected.
(vi) The vacant seats of SC/ST which can not be filled, due to non-availability of either Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe candidates or both, with the pass marks in the entrance test, if any, may be thrown open to the general category in that year after notification and obtaining concurrence of the Special Commission for Scheduled Castes/Tribes of the University Grants Commission and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Persons with Disabilities
3% seats in all courses will be reserved for physically challenged . Candidates under this category will be given relaxation to the extent of 5% marks in the qualifying examination. Person suffering from not less than forty percent (40%) of any disability as certified by a competent medical authority, would be considered for admission under this category.
Internal (Jamia) Students
25% seats in all courses will be filled by internal students of Jamia who have passed their qualifying examination from the Jamia provided they fulfil the minimum requirements for the course and qualify the prescribed Entrance Test(s), unless otherwise specified.
NOTE: Students permitted to appear in various examinations of Jamia as Private Candidates/Distance Mode, shall not be entitled for consideration under the internal (Jamia) category.
Special Provisions for Admissions
1. A specified number of seats not exceeding 5% in the under-graduate courses may be earmarked by the Academic Council for admission of outstanding players and sports persons, who have represented their Universities/Region/State, provided that they fulfill the minimum eligibility requirements prescribed for seeking admission to various Courses.
2. Relaxation to the extent of 5% of marks in the aggregate or in the subject concerned, as the case may be, will be given to such candidates.
3. Undertaking from the sportsmen/ sportswomen:
(a) All the sports persons selected for admission under sports quota, shall have to give an affidavit for their conduct/ participation in practice/ representing university team on being selected to do so, before they are admitted.
(b) All the original sports certificates shall be kept in the custody of Office of the Games and Sports for at least one year. The Director, Physical Education shall get the certificates of at least 10% of the candidates admitted under sports quota verified from the authority issuing the certificates.
(c) At the time of submission of sports form, a trial slip containing the photograph of the player shall be issued which the candidate has to bring at the time of the trial.
1. Relaxation to the extent of 5% of marks in the aggregate or in subject concerned, as the case may be, will be given to N.C.C. cadets having the following N.C.C. Certificates for admission to all Courses (excluding, part-time/evening courses).
• “A” or “B” Certificate for admission to undergraduate courses.
2. Students admitted on the basis of N.C.C. shall have to continue in the N.C.C. at least for one year.
3. The relaxation of marks on the basis of N.C.C. Certificate shall be permissible only on the production of a certificate duly verified by the N.C.C. Officer of the Jamia.
1. N.S.S. Volunteers, who have attended two 10 days’ Special Camps and one National Integration Camp or Republic Day Camp may be given a relaxation of 2% marks in the aggregate or in subject concerned as the case may be, for admission to all Courses (excluding, part-time/evening courses).
2. Relaxation of marks given on the basis of N.S.S. certificates shall be permissible only on the production of relevant certificates duly verified by the N.S.S. Programme Coordinator of the Jamia.
3. The above relaxations are subject to provisions.
1. Kashmiri migrants need to apply and go through the complete process of admission. Their admission will be considered over and above the total number of seats but not exceeding one seat in technical/professional courses and in other courses not exceeding 5% of the total seats in a course.
2. The candidates seeking concession in admission under this category will be required to submit certificates in support of their claim of being Kashmiri migrants obtainable from the registered Divisional Commissioner, Govt. NCT of Delhi, New Delhi.
Admission of Foreign Students/ N.R.Is/ ICCR Sponsored Candidates
Prospectus & Application Form
The University Prospectus, stating all admission guidelines, eligibility criteria and application forms can be accessed on the Jamia Millia Islamia website www.jmi.ac.in.
Eligibility qualifications for international students will be the same as for Indian students in each course/programme.
On being granted admission, all applicants (except those applying for research visa) should produce their Students Visa within one month of completion of admission formalities.
Categories of Foreign Students
|S.No.||Category||% of Seats|
|1||ICCR Sponsored/ Nominated Applicants||5% over and above the regular seats(subject to infrastructural facilities)|
|2||General||Not exceeding 10% of regular seats|
|3||Supernumerary||15% over and above the regular seats(subject to infrastructural facilities). Out of 15 % seats, 5% seats of the Supernumerary Category shall be earmarked for NRI's, their spouses, dependent children inclusive of legally adopted children.|
1. ICCR applicants - These are nominated/ sponsored by Government of India under various Cultural Schemes of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR). Candidates are advised to contact the nearest Indian Diplomatic Mission for necessary information about these scholarships.
2. General applicants - These are applicants who qualify for admission after clearing the regular entrance test and interview. The fee structure is indicated in the relevant table of fees. The forms on which to apply shall be the same as those for the Indian nationals and shall be available at the sale counter of the university. The form can also be downloaded from the website of the university. A bank draft of the prescribed fee, is required to be posted with downloaded forms. The form should be submitted to the Head/Dean of the concerned Department/Faculty by the last date mentioned in the Prospectus for Indian students.
Note: 10% of supernumerary seats shall be earmarked for foreigners.
An applicant shall be considered a “Foreigner” on satisfying the following terms and conditions: -
(i) Possess a valid foreign passport.
(ii) Possess a valid visa issued by a competent authority of the Indian Government clarifying the reasons of his/her stay in the country.
All foreign applicants and NRIs have to be declared medically fit by the Medical Officer of the Dr. Ansari Health Centre. NRIs An applicant shall be considered an NRI on satisfying the following condition:
The term”Non-Resident Indian” shall be as per the Income Tax Law. However, notwithstanding any amendment in such laws, all rights, obligations and duties flowing and subsisting at the time of submission of application shall be respected and mandated till finalization of the course applied for.
The following documents required with the application form:
(i) Copy of passport of parent working abroad
(ii) Copy of work permit
(iii) Copy of residence permit
(iv) Letter from the employer
(v) Affidavit from the parent for financial support
(vi) NRI Status certificate issued by the Indian Embassy in the concerned country
Schedule for Admission
1. General (Foreign) Students:
Admission Schedule for this category shall remain the same as for Indian Students for each Course/Programme
2. Supernumerary Category:
The applicants are advised to collect their admission letter personally or send their authorized representatives to collect the same from the Office of the Foreign Students Advisor.
NOTE for Supernumerary Category :
An amount of Rs. 2000/- as admission fee and Rs. 8000/- as refundable security shall be charged at the time of admission.
The university does not have any provision for scholarships for foreign students. However, some scholarships are granted by the Government of India under various schemes. Candidates are advised to contact the nearest Indian Diplomatic Mission for necessary information about these scholarships.
Registration with the Foreigners Regional
Registration Office (FRRO)
Upon arrival in India, every foreign student must be registered with the FRRO within 14 days from the date of first entry into India. The FRRO can impose heavy fines if this registration is delayed or not done.
The following is the address of FRRO:
EAST BLOCK, NO.-8, LEVEL-II, R.K. PURAM,
SECTOR–I, NEW DELHI.
The following documents are required to be submitted for the registration:-
- 3 copies of relevant passport page with personal details.
- 3 copies of passport page with visa.
- 3 copies of Bonafide Certificate (to be obtained from FSA office)
- 3 copies of proof of residence (to be obtained from Provost office)
- 2 copies of letter of acceptance from the University.
- 12 passport size photographs.
- Certificates & documents required with the application form under Supernumerary Category
(a) Proof of Date of Birth
(b) Translated and attested copy of Mark sheet/provisional certificate (front & back).
(c) Conduct and character certificate from the institution last attended.
(d) Certificate of Medical fitness to be signed by a Registered Medical Practitioner holding a degree not lower than MBBS. HIV test certificate to be submitted at the time of admission.
(e) Attested copy of passport and visa.
*(a) The definition of NRI is applicable as per the Income Tax Act and the Rules/ Notification framed there under.
(b) Save as provided aforesaid, NRI sponsored (popularly termed as “NRI SPONSORED CANDIDATES”) is NOT PERMISSIBLE in Jamia.
Other Related Link:
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Eligibility Criteria
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Exam Pattern
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Important Dates
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Syllabus
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Application Submission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Answer Key
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Result
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2011 Counselling
- Jamia Millia Islamia 2010 Archives